Every week, there are numerous topics that even hardcore fans, not to mention casual fans, cannot keep up with. Every week, I’ll be here to help you catchup with the sport of boxing, going over the previous weekend’s results, as well as some of the hot breaking topics that fans are talking about. So with that being said, let’s get right into the boxing week in review.
Last Week’s Results
There were some interesting results in boxing. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr won by unanimous decision despite coming in over the 170 (originally 168) pound limit and being rumored that he was approximately 200 pounds by the time of the fight.
Carl Frampton shook off two first-round knockdowns, and numerous low blows to beat Alexander Gonzalez Jr by unanimous decision. He is now rumored to be moving up from 122 pounds to 126 pounds in what everyone will be speculating is for a big fight against Vasyl Lomachenko.
David Price was KO’d in the second round by Erkan Teper. And now, as people 3 years ago were wondering if Price was going to be one of the main cogs in the heavyweight division, now people are questioning if Price’s career by all intents and purposes is over.
Scott Quigg dominated Kiko Martinez by knocking him down twice and stopping him in round two of their fight this weekend. The quick TKO put the 122-pound division on notice as Quigg is now ready to put a big name on his resume.
Mayweather Chooses Berto
News started to creep out the week before when Michael Woods said that he heard that Andre Berto would be Floyd Mayweather’s next opponent on CBS. That story was confirmed by TMZ Sports on Monday afternoon.
Canelo-Cotto with One Hurdle Left
ESPN’s Dan Rafael reported that there seems to be only one hurdle left for the Canelo Alvarez bout against Miguel Cotto to be finalized, and that’s the fight location. The two have agreed to fight at a catch-weight of 155 pounds, and all the breakdowns of the purse and all other variables seem to be in place. However, there still seems to be a question on the fight site, and with that, the fight date.
MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas seems to be in the lead. That fight would happen on November 7th. If the fight takes place at the Thomas & Mack Center, it will take place on November 21st.
Everything is set for Lucas Matthysee to square off against Viktor Postol at the StubHub Center in Carson California on October 3rd. The two sides avoided the purse bid and agreed to a deal on Monday. The network part of the deal has not been completed, but it is expected to be carried by HBO and the co-main event is expected to be rising prospect Antonio Orozco stepping into the ring against veteran Humberto Soto.
Andre Ward’s Future
After Andre Ward’s domination of Paul Smith last month, in his first fight in 19 months, at a 172-pound catch-weight, the biggest question was what’s next?
Two opponents mentioned are Sergey Kovalev, which would make Ward move up fully to a 175-pound light heavyweight and of course Gennady Golovkin, in which it was said that GGG wanted Ward to come down to a 164 pound catch-weight.
Despite what has seemed like a lifetime of hearing back and forth trash talk with Ward and Golovkin, it looks like the Kovalev fight is more likely. Kovalev has already said he thinks that fight will happen, and from the sounds of it, 2016 is looking like a legitimate date for it. Ward likely will fight one more time before such a fight would probably take place against either Kovalev or GGG.
Who Wants Who: Rigo, Donaire, Quigg, Frampton
After Vasyl Lomachenko had rejected a fight against Guillermo Rigondeaux, it seems like Rigondeaux moved his attention to Scott Quigg. However, Rigondeaux may have some competition for that fight against Quigg as it appears Quigg and Nonito Donaire are looking to fight in the near future.
Both Donaire and Quigg have expressed interest in fighting each other with Donaire calling out Quigg on Tuesday after Quigg’s promoter, Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport said that Quigg wanted to fight Donaire.
This all comes after people expected a Frampton-Quigg matchup that doesn’t look like it will happen with Frampton likely to move up to 126 for a fight against Lomachenko.
Two fights were called off this week as Demetrius Andrade says that his opponent Anthony Mundine has backed out of their agreement in Mundine’s home country of Australia. The 27-year-old Andrade has not fought since June 2014 and is seemingly very anxious to get back in the ring. However, the WBO is threatening to strip him of his title.
Also, the fight that was planned on August 1st between Badou Jack and George Groves has been postponed. Groves suffered a slight head injury in late June, but it doesn’t seem like that was the main reason for the fight being called off. ESPN is being told that the fight will be rescheduled on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather fight on September 12th.
And that was this week’s boxing week in review.