Knockout Tru TV Early Undercard Results


trutv_logo1Earlier tonight, Metro PCS, Top Rank and Tru TV held another one of their “knockout” primetime boxing events at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. The card was headlined by Jersey’s own Glen Tapia, who took on Michel Soro in a 10 round bout for the NABO and the USBA super welterweight title. The co-main event featured promising light heavyweight Sean Monaghan up against Cleiton Conceicao. Before we got to the televised portion of the card, we were treated to an exciting undercard that featured some solid upcoming prospects.

The first bout of the night saw a super lightweight fight between Osenohad Vazquez and Mike Reed. Reed and Vazquez started the fight off slow, before Reed picked it up later in the round hurting Vazquez with a series of right hooks. Vazquez survived the round but was badly hurt and looked as if he was almost out of there. In the second round, Vazquez took a sufficient amount of punishment, enough to have the referee Harvey Dock call a stop to the fight at the 2-minute mark. With Mike Reed being declared the winner via second round TKO improving his record to (14-0, 8 Kos). Before the stoppage, judges Lawrence Layton and Alan Rubenstein had given Vazquez 8 points in the first round though no knockdowns were recorded.

The second bout featured super middleweights Alex Asbury, who faced off against a hometown fighter in Darren Goodall from Milford, New Jersey. Goodall made easy work of Asbury as early in the round he landed a solid left hook that send Asbury to the canvas badly hurt. Asbury eventually got up from the knockdown but never fully recovered as his legs looked completely gone, the round progressed he grew tired and fell to the canvas. As Asbury once again proceeded to get up, the fight was waved off by referee Benjy Esteves due to Asbury looking like he simply could no longer continue.

Julian Rodriguez had an easy night when he wiped out his opponent, Peter Oluoch in the first round of their bout. Rodriguez landed a wicked left hook that stunned Oluoch and sent him to the ropes. As Rodriguez rushed in to finish the job, referee Harvey Dock stepped in and stopped the fight.

The fourth fight of the night saw Esquiva Falcao take on Paul Harness in a super welterweight bout. Falcao, who was the aggressor for the entire fight, beat Harness down for three entire rounds. Harness looked nowhere in the fight from the opening bell and by the end of the second round looked as if he just didn’t want to be there anymore. Harness came out for the 3rd round but was slowly succumbing to the pressure Falcao was applying. By the end of the round, a warned down Harness walked back to his corner with a look that said a thousand words. His trainer finally had referee Benjy Esteves call the right, giving Falco a 3rd round RTD.