Joseph Agbeko Confident In Beating Rigondeaux, Feels Rigondeaux Made Donaire Look Like A Bad Fighter

JulioGarcia
By JulioGarcia October 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Joseph Agbeko will get to once again fight for a world title on December 7th when he faces Guillermo Rigondeaux on HBO.  The opportunity arose after Agbeko made some career changing moves. Agbeko left Don King and changed managers and couldn’t be happier.

“It’s like a career change for me,” Agbeko. “I have known Frank Espinoza for some time now and he has managed a few fighters that I have fought. He is one of the best mangers in the game. He works hard for his fighter.  He always wants to get a good result at the end. I feel happy that I am working with him because he is able to secure the right kind of fighter I want to fight. We just have to put the past behind us you know, count our blessings.”

Agbeko has been through a lot of wars throughout his career and has seen many styles but has never faced anyone with Rigondeaux’s style. How does one prepare for Rigondeaux and his style? Simple, spar and train with amateurs.

“I will be sparring amateur guys. Rigondeaux has a very good amateur style. He wants to hit you and he doesn’t want you to hit him. He is kind of technical. He always wants to go back and make sure he gets his target. I want to spar with amateur boxers to get a good feel. I know Rigondeaux is a good fighter and experienced and very technical so we are working very, very hard to take him.”

What does Agbeko have to do to win against a guy like Rigondeaux who is more defense than anything and knows what punch you are going to throw before you even throw it? Out-think him and out-fight him.

” I think I’ve been in worse (fights). I have been able to survive most wars. Fighting Rigondeaux is one of those fights. I’m not saying he is nobody. He is technical and very, very good. I respect him a lot but he is just like one of the fighters I have faced before so it doesn’t make any difference. I think I have good footwork. He uses his brain  a lot when he is fighting so I have to use mine. If he uses his more then he will beat you. I have to think more than him. I have to control the fight.”

Agbeko will arguably be the second best fighter on Rigondeaux’s record. The first fighter, Nonito Donaire. Agbeko believes Donaire is a better fighter than Rigondeaux and that Donaire made the mistake of trying to please the fans in turn he fought Rigondeaux’s fight and looked bad.

“I think Nonito is the only good fighter he has beaten in his career is Nonito Donaire. Apart from Donaire there are no other good men on his record other than Donaire. I believe Donaire is the better fighter than Rigondeaux. I think Donaire wanted to give the fans what they wanted to see so Donaire fell into his traps. Donaire couldn’t think  about himself he wanted to give the boxing fans a good show so he followed Rigondeaux to fight the way Rigondeaux wanted him to fight which made Donaire look bad.”

JulioGarcia
By JulioGarcia October 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Write a comment

7 Comments

1. Balagtas October 22, 12:25 am

I think Agbeko has a descent chance of beating Rigondeaux’ because he correctly analyzed on how Donaire lost to Rigondeoux.
    Rigoneaux has no power to KO his opponents and Agbeko had won and lost to a better fighter compare to Rigondeaux previous opponents.

2. BORINKEN October 22, 2:48 am

So,rigondeaux with a ko ratio of 66%,hasn’t show you his power?…I advise you to youtube,some of his prevoius fights,later you”ll tell me.

3. glen October 22, 9:08 am

The question is who is going to pay to watch a boring fight. All of that running, dodging and hugging. If they have not figure yet, sluggers and brawlers are the ones selling the fight… Not the sweet science.

4. Winky October 22, 5:40 pm

GLEN,YOU’RE JUST BEING A PARROW FROM THE HBO-ARUM INTEREST OR EITHER YOU’RE PINOY,STILL CRYING DUE TO THE CUBAN “SURPRISING”DEMOLITION OF GOLDEN EGG CHICKEN FLASH DONAIRE—AS BORINKEN SAIDS,8KO IN 12 FIGHTS,DOESN’T SOUND 2 ME LIKE TOO MUCH RUNNING AND HUGGING……THE CUBAN COULD BE FASTER TO GET RID OF RIVALS ,,,OFF COURSE YES HE CAN…BUT COMMON….WHAT GAVE DONAIRE HIS “BYCICLE DON’T HIT ME ON THE EYES SHOW” IN THE LAST 2 ROUND OF THE FIGHT?

5. micoco October 22, 9:59 pm

he’s right, donaire is a better fighter and boxer than rigo, it’s just that he wanted to always please the fans and forget about himself and his gameplan, I mean come-on a sluggish and no game plan donaire was able to knock rigondeux down, what more if he’s a 2007 version of himself? that’s why rigo wants him to fight, in vasquez and narvaez fight, donaire’s weakness comes forth, he’s a natural counter-puncher, but the shadow of pacman and the demand for a good warrior was getting to him and drag him out of his usual techniques, fans aside who do you think will win? I will bet than when donaire fights a technical and boring fight people will call him, a chicken.

6. Pepe October 23, 8:19 am

There’s only one way to know if really Donaire or Agbeko are better than Rigo, fighting. IF Donaire thinks he has a chance against Rigo, Why he didn’t ask for a rematch?. The good ones as for a rematch like Mares. The problem is that Donaire was the one didn’t engaged because since the first round he felt the speed and power of Rigo and was scared. Any time he wanted to engaged Rigo outbox him. Now with Agbeko we will see who is the best, and I’m for sure with Rigo. If Agbeko doesn’t go back like Donaire did he will be knocked out. Just look the Donaire face after the fight, he was destroyed

7. Winky October 24, 1:49 am

Rigo faster and better boxer than Donaire anytime,carrying heavy hands as well,and Donaire felt them since the beginning that Rigo,was no feather fisted,and then he decided not to engage…The excuses were too much,even way before the fight,so thank but no thanks,Donaire is good but supported by the media,the expectations were unrealisti against the mythical ex-olimpic,,while the little cuban,was always doubted..On top of that, the stupid rules who allow a 122 pnd as rigo versus a 140 on night figt for Donaire prevent us from see a more fast end,in Rigo’s victory,because you don’t fight the same,when pounding on oversized “blow ups “rivals as you could do with your identical weight counterparts.

View comments

Write a comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*

Support Tha Boxing Voice!

Download Our App