“Irish” Joe McCreedy Gets by Michael “Flash” Walchuk, Wins by Majority Decision


In Lowell, Massachusetts last night at the Tsongas Center “Irish” Joey McCreedy and Michael “Flash” Walchuk found themselves in a crossroads fight that neither man could afford to lose. Both men were coming off of losses in their last fight and really needed to make a statement.

McCreedy came out real fast in the opening round and backed Walchuk up against the ropes on several occasions, ripping him to the body. Midway through the round McCreedy landed a huge right hand followed up by a left hook that forced Walchuk back to the ropes, where he landed some heavy body shots and uppercuts. It looked as though Walchuk was about to be stopped, but he was able to hang on and made it through the round.

In the second round Walchuk came out moving around the ring a lot, looking to clear his head from the pummeling he received in the previous round. McCreedy began to stalk him at this point and was able to land some quality overhand rights and vicious body shots. McCreedy punctuated the round with another big overhand right that really seemed to hurt Walchuk.

The third round looked like a rerun of the second with Walchuk not offering up much offense because he found himself on the defensive for most of the round. He just did not seem strong enough to keep McCreedy off of him, and it looked like it was only a matter of time at this point that the end was near.

McCreedy came out as if he was on a seek and destroy mission in the fourth. He had fire in his eyes and was really looking to get Walchuk out of the there. Walchuk spent most of the round in retreat. Near the end of the round McCreedy started to slow up just a bit and Walchuk tried to press the action, but he just didn’t have much left on his punches.

McCreedy came out a bit slower in round five working behind his jab. It looked as though he was trying to get his second wind. Midway through the round he picked up the pace a bit, but Walchuk was able to pick off his shots this time and landed a nice counter left hook that got McCreedy’s attention. Although he still lost the round, Walchuk seemed to be doing better than he did in the previous four.

Walchuk started to find his rhythm with his jab in the sixth and seventh rounds. He was able to keep the fight in the center of the ring and kept his distance not allowing McCreedy to get inside. McCreedy seemed to be a little tired from all of the pressure that he had put on Walchuk earlier in the fight and now the tide was turning ever so slightly. Walchuk’s jab was starting to land with more accuracy, and he followed up with some sharp right hands that landed flush.

In the eighth and final round Walchuk was keeping McCreedy off balance with a lot of lateral movement. Walchuk was landing some nice flurries and moved away from McCreedy’s bull like rushes. McCreedy was missing with a lot of his shots, and it appeared as though he was being outboxed in this round.

Walchuk’s late rally wasn’t enough. He ended up coming up short on the scorecards, losing by majority decision. The official scores were 76-76, 78-74, and 77-75. Most ringside observers had McCreedy clearly winning the fight despite the late surge by Walchuk.

Previous articleBradley-Provodnikov Weigh-in Video
Next articleJessie Vargas Edges “Lucky Boy” Omotoso In Grueling 10-Round Affair
Joe is a writer and correspondent for thaboxingvoice.com. He is also a co-host of the thaboxingvoice.com's official radio show podcast. Joe has been following the sport of boxing for over 33 years and has been a contributor to various boxing websites and internet podcasts. Occasionally he covers live events as a member of the boxing media and provides live interviews with boxers, promoters, trainers, and managers. Joe can be reached by email at: [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/jhabeeb1 and you can also contact him and friend him at his facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/Joe.Habeeb.